Manchester Times

Follow Us On:

Manchester toddler recovering after gunshot wound to the head

Posted on Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 11:36 pm

A Manchester toddler is recovering at Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital after accidentally shooting himself in the head Saturday night.

Taylor Porter, 3, was waiting on his sister to fill up the bathtub for him at his 1210 Woodcrest Dr. home when he discovered a black Kel-Tec .380 handgun on the bathroom counter and shot himself in the forehead.

“The bullet did penetrate the skull,” said Manchester Police Department assistant chief Adam Floied. “There was a skull fracture and part of the brain was exposed.”

Porter was transported to United Regional Medical Center and then flown to Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital in Nashville by Air Evac. He was in the intensive care unit and listed in stable condition as of Monday afternoon, according to Floied.

“I think one of the doctors told the family that he was the luckiest kid alive,” said Floied.

“I think they expect a full recovery with no permanent damage,” Floied added. “We will keep our fingers crossed that it stays that way.”

On the scene Saturday night, MPD chief investigator Billy Butler said the shooting “appeared to be accidental.”

According to a report filed by MPD patrolman Fred Lee, police responded to the home at approximately 9 p.m. Saturday for a child with head injuries.

Upon arriving at the scene Lee found a pool of blood on the floor next to the bathtub and a .380 handgun on the bathroom sink counter that “appeared to have blood on it.”

According to police report, Porter’s older sister, 11, told Lee that she was running bathwater for him when he grabbed the gun from the countertop and sat on the floor. She said she “thought it was one of his play guns” and continued to fill the tub and that is when the gun discharged.

Lee’s report states the gun was left on the counter by Porter’s aunt, Kandi Brennan, 22, Belvidere, who was at the house after a shopping trip with the toddler’s mother, Tanya Porter.

According to the report, Lee spoke with Brennan at the Manchester police station and she told him that she left the gun at the house after removing it from her person in order to use the bathroom and laying it on the sink counter top. Brennan stated that while in the bathroom, her own son was acting up and she left the bathroom and forgot the gun, according to the police report.

Brennan does have a handgun carry permit that she obtained on Sept. 9, 2012, according to records with the Tennessee Department of Safety. It’s unclear if the gun is registered to Brennan, but Floied said she did carry the gun during her handgun carry permit classes.

Manchester police officials met with the district attorney’s office and, according to Floied, no charges will be filed in the incident.

(Click here to subscribe to the print and / or full online version (seen exactly as in print) of the Manchester Times.)

-Josh Peterson can be reached by email at