Manchester Times

Follow Us On:

Messick sentenced to 16 years for vehicular homicide; free on appeal

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:33 pm

By Wayne Thomas, staff writer

A Manchester woman is free on $100,000 bond while she appeals her sentence for vehicular homicide.

Connie Sue Messick, 38, of W. Taylor St., Manchester, was sentenced Wednesday morning to 16 years in the Tennessee Department of Correction for the November 2011 death of Manchester resident Stanley George. Coffee County Circuit Court Judge Craig Johnson handed down the sentence. Messick was found guilty by jury earlier this year.

Connie Messick

Connie Messick

Manchester police reports stated that on Nov. 26, 2011, Messick was driving a Toyota automobile that crashed into the rear of a vehicle driven by George as he and his family sat in their Nissan car at the traffic light at the intersection of Oak Drive and McArthur Street.

George was transported to United Regional Medical Center where he died.

Witnesses told police that Messick had been traveling at a high rate of speed and did not slow down before striking the George vehicle. After the crash, Messick, according to police, drove past the scene before coming to a stop.

Police reported that Messick’s son, 14 years old at the time of the accident and who was a passenger in her vehicle, told them that his mother had been drinking before the crash. Police said they found a large, mostly empty vodka bottle in her car.

The boy was treated for his injuries. Four other persons who were in George’s vehicle were also treated for their injuries.

In handing down the sentence, Judge Johnson told Messick that she had “caused a great tragedy for the family and friends of the victim and that her actions had inflicted burdens that could last a lifetime.”

The judge also told Messick that she was a “dangerous offender showing no regard to human life.”

Messick’s attorney, Doug Aaron, informed Judge Johnson that he planned to file an appeal on behalf of his client. The judge then set her bond at $100,000, which she posted Wednesday afternoon.

Assistant District Attorney Felicia Walkup prosecuted the case.

Wayne Thomas may be reached by email at