City set to buy fire truck, three police vehicles

Hillsboro Volunteer Fire Department, the department that handles fire protection for Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival, offered suggestions for safely cooking and powering campsite to avoid carbon monoxide hazards.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas. Fumes are produced any time fuel is consumed in vehicles, small engines, stoves, lanterns grills and more. It can build up and poison those who breathe it in.

Carbon monoxide exposure can cause headaches, nausea and fatigue, leading up to brain damage and death. Fumes from grills, combustion engines and propane stoves can accumulate with little warning.

According to the CDC, ach year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.

Hillsboro offers the following suggestions for camping safety:

·         Ensure campers have a working carbon monoxide detector that runs on batteries

·         Notify Bonnaroo Fire immediately if it alarms

·         If a neighboring camper’s alarm activates, be sure to check on them

·         Position generator exhaust or vehicle exhausts away from yours and your neighbors’ campers. Fumes can enter from under the camper, open windows and vents

·         If required, use a longer extension cord to allow safe placement of a generator.

·         Keep wind direction and how the wind might blow fumes in mind when placing a generator

·         Do not store gasoline cans in direct sunlight. The heat can cause gas vapor to expand and over pressurize the container

·         Always use propane and charcoal grills in well ventilated areas

·         Be sure charcoal coals are fully extinguished by wetting them before discarding