Electrocution accident at Babe Ruth field injures 11-year-old girl; the field closed until repair is completed

An incident that happened at Babe Ruth field in Manchester has injured an 11-year-old girl. The field is closed until repair is completed. 

An incident that happened at Babe Ruth field in Manchester has injured an 11-year-old girl.

“The accident happened Friday night at 9:45 p.m.,” said Bonnie Gamble, director of Manchester Parks and Recreation.

“An 11-year-old girl stood between the ballfield fence and the light pole,” Gamble said. “She felt an electrical current and could not move. Her parents also felt an electrical current in the act of trying to disengage her from the pole.”

Coffee County Emergency Medical Services responded to the call, and the girl was transported to ICU at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, according to Gamble.  

“She was released to home care on Sunday,” Gamble said.

The field is currently closed.

“The Babe Ruth field is closed for use both day and night time until the repair is completed,” Gamble said.

“There was a short on the power line to this light pole; the Babe Ruth poles are the oldest metal poles in the park.”

Such an incident has not happened at the fields before, and the recreation center is taking steps to prevent such accidents from occurring in the future. 

“In 20 years of managing the park, we have never had this happen,” Gamble said. “All of our metal ballfield light poles are scheduled for intense inspection.”

Recommended for you